The New Zealand Railway & Locomotive Society was formed in 1944 by enthusiasts
interested in the then New Zealand Railways. The Papers from the old NZR (Railways Department)and other sources are
preserved and are presently held in the the Society's Archives and by Archives New Zealand.
Activities and resources within the Society include:
- Our bi-monthly magazine, "The New Zealand Railway Observer" which is included in our benefits of membership.
The current issue can also be bought from reputable book sellers.
- Our Archive's are available for research at the Thomas McGavin Building, North Street, Ava, Wellington. Amoung the many
items preserved by the Society there are maps, plans, photographs and many documents including Staff Lists which are of
interest to genealogists. Visits can be arranged with the archivist - Phone 04 568 4938.
- Members can join magazine and photo circulation groups.
- Member groups meet in many centres where talks, films and other activities can be enjoyed.
- We are active in restoring locomotives and rolling stock.
- The annual Thomas McGavin Research Grant is available to those wanting to do research on NZR topics. (Conditions apply.)